CMA (AAMA) Practice Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
Take the practice exams to test your current knowledge in the categories of Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology.
None of these questions will appear on the CMA (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination.
Read these instructions before taking this practice exam.
1) Which of the following terms describes the body's ability to maintain its normal state?
2) Each of the following is known to help prevent infection EXCEPT
(A) hair in the nose
3) Each of the following mature cells has a nucleus EXCEPT
4) Which of the following is flexible connective tissue that is attached to bones at the joints?
5) Each of the following is located in the mediastinum EXCEPT the
6) Which of the following is the body cavity that contains the pituitary gland?
7) Which of the following closes and seals off the lower airway during swallowing?
8) Which of the following is located beneath the diaphragm in the right upper quadrant of the abdominal cavity?
9) Which of the following anatomical regions of abdomen lies just distal to the sternum?
10) Which of the following cavities are separated by the diaphragm?
(A) Abdominal and pelvic
11) Which of the following terms describes the motion of bending the forearm toward the body?
12) In which of the following positions does a patient lie face down?
13) If the foot is abducted, it is moved in which direction?
14) The anatomic location of the spinal canal is
15) Which of the following is a structural, fibrous protein found in the dermis?
16) A patient has a fracture in which the radius is bent but not displaced, and the skin is intact. This type of fracture is known as which of the following?
(A) Closed, greenstick
17) Which of the following is the large bone found superior to the patella and inferior to the ischium?
18) The physician directs the medical assistant to complete a request form for an x-ray study of the fibula. The procedure will be performed on which of the following structures?
19) Which of the following is a disorder characterized by uncontrollable episodes of falling asleep during the day?
20) The point at which an impulse is transmitted from one neuron to another neuron is called the
21) Which of the following controls body temperature, sleep, and appetite?
(A) Adrenal glands
22) Which of the following cranial nerves is related to the sense of smell?
23) Which of the following is a substance that aids the transmission of nerve impulses?
24) The carotid pulse is located
(A) in front of the ears and just above eye level
25) A patient sustains severe blunt trauma to the left upper abdomen and requires surgery. The body organ most likely to be involved is the
26) Where is the sinoatrial node located?
(A) Between the left atrium and the left ventricle
27) Blood flows from the right ventricle of the heart into the
(A) inferior vena cava
28) Oxygenated blood is carried to the heart by the
29) The thoracic cage is a structural unit important for
30) Exhaled air, when compared with inhaled air, contains more
(A) carbon dioxide and less oxygen
31) In the lungs, gas exchange occurs in tiny one-celled air sacs called
32) Bile enters the gastrointestinal tract at the
(A) gastroesophageal sphincter
33) Each of the following is a segment of the large intestine EXCEPT the
(A) ascending colon
34) Which of the following conditions is characterized by incompetence of the esophageal sphincter?
(A) Crohn's disease
35) Which of the following organs removes bilirubin from the blood, manufactures plasma proteins, and is involved with the production of prothrombin and fibrinogen?
36) Which of the following is an accessory organ of the gastrointestinal system that is responsible for secreting insulin?
(A) Adrenal gland
37) Which of the following is the lymphoid organ that is a reservoir for red blood cells and filters organisms from the blood?
38) The process whereby the stomach muscles contract to propel food through the digestive tract is called
39) Saliva contains an enzyme that acts upon
40) In men, specimens for gonococcal cultures are most commonly obtained from which of the following?
41) The cluster of blood capillaries found in each nephron is the
(A) afferent arteriole
42) Which of the following conditions is characterized by the presence of kidney stones (renal calculi)?
43) Urine flows through the urinary system in which order?
(A) Bladder, kidney, ureter, urethra, urethral meatus
44) In men, which of the following structures is located at the neck of the bladder and surrounds the urethra?
45) Male hormones are produced by which of the following?
(A) Glans penis
46) Which of the following are mucus-producing glands located on each side of the vaginal opening?
47) Fertilization of an ovum by a spermatozoon occurs in the
48) Calcium, potassium, and sodium are classified as which of the following?
49) Which of the following is the master gland of the endocrine system?
50) Patients with which of the following diseases are treated with injections of vitamin B-12?
(A) Bell's palsy
Return to top.