CMA (AAMA) Practice Exam: Medical Terminology
Take the practice exams to test your current knowledge in the categories of Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology.
None of these questions will appear on the CMA (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination.
Read these instructions before taking this practice exam.
1) The general meaning of "corpus" is
2) Which of the following is the term for an abnormally low white blood cell count?
3) An area of dead myocardial tissue is called
(A) angina pectoris
4) The term "lithiasis" means
(A) constriction of tissue
5) Menarche refers to which of the following?
(A) Beginning of menstruation
6) Adipose tissue is made of which of the following?
(A) Fat cells
7) Which of the following terms refers to the ability to breathe comfortably only when in an upright position?
8) Which of the following is the term for abnormally large breasts in men?
9) Which of the following terms means drainage from the nose?
10) The combining form "cephal/o" refers to the
11) The prefix pertaining to fingernail is
12) Inflammation of a sweat gland is known as
13) The prefix meaning outside or outer is
14) The prefix "brady-" means
(A) away from
15) The patient's complaint of painful menstrual periods will be documented in the medical record as
16) Which of the following suffixes refers to eating?
17) Which of the following terms refers to pain?
18) Which of the following is the definition for aphagia?
(A) Extreme thirst
19) Which of the following suffixes means "incision into"?
20) Which of the following is the CORRECT spelling for the plural of bronchus?
21) Which of the following is the plural form of the medical term that means chest?
22) The notation "subq" indicates an area between
(A) bone and bone marrow
23) OS is a standard abbreviation for
(A) both eyes
24) Instructions to take a medication "pc" means
(A) at bedtime
25) "K" is the symbol for
26. Which of the following is the chemical symbol for iron?
27) Which of the following is the term for reconstruction of the eardrum?
28) Colporrhaphy is the repair of the
29. Which of the following terms describes surgical fixation of the uterus in a suspended position?
30) A pyloromyotomy is performed in which of the following body systems?
31) Which of the following is a surgical procedure in which a pendulous breast is lifted and fixed to the chest wall?
32) Which of the following is an incision made to enlarge the opening of the external urethra?
33. Korotkoff sounds are evaluated when
(A) counting the apical heartbeat
34. Which of the following is a nonsterile procedure?
35) Which of the following is a procedure in which synovial fluid is removed for analysis?
36) Which of the following procedures is indicated when an abnormal growth is identified on barium enema x-ray study?
37) A patient scheduled for echoencephalography will undergo a study of which of the following?
38) Which of the following physicians specializes in treating patients with diseases of the liver?
39) Which of the following branches of medicine specializes in the study of the musculoskeletal system?
40) A patient with encephalitis is most likely to be treated by which of the following specialists?
41) A cystoscope is an instrument used most commonly by a specialist in
42) A patient who has hypergonadism, prolactinoma, and hirsutism will most likely be referred to which of the following specialists?
43) Polydipsia, polyuria, good appetite with weight loss, and blurred vision are signs and symptoms of
(A) diabetes mellitus
44) Dysphonia is a common symptom of which of the following conditions?
45) Which of the following is a malignant tumor of the eye that is known to be hereditary?
46) Which of the following are round bacteria that grow in pairs?
47) Which of the following words is MISSPELLED?
48) Which of the following medical terms is spelled CORRECTLY?
49) Which of the following spellings is CORRECT?
50) Which of the following is the CORRECT spelling for the focusing ability of the eye?
Return to top.