The AAMA offers continuing education (CE) to all medical assistants:
CMAs (AAMA) | Earn recertification points to recertify by continuing education.
View the Recertification Policies to ensure you are eligible.
Medical Assistants | Earn CEUs (continuing education units) to show employers you are staying current in the field.
AAMA Members | Enjoy discounts on AAMA CEUs that can add up to the price of membership and more. Join today!
Where to Get CEUs
AAMA CEUs | You may earn all of your CEUs from the AAMA.
Recertify by Phone. If all of your CEUs appear on your AAMA CEU Transcript, you do not need to fill out the application:
- Call the AAMA Continuing Education Department at 800/228-2262.
- Have your credit card handy.
(Recertification status will not be determined at the time of your call. As with mail-in applications, processing may take up to 30 days.)
Non-AAMA CEUs | You may also choose to earn at least 30 AAMA CEUs and the rest of the recertification points from other sources.
Recertify by Mail-in Application. Non-AAMA CEUs will not appear in the AAMA CEU Transcript.
If any of your CEUs are from non-AAMA sources, follow these steps:
- Completely review the Recertification by Continuing Education Application
- Fill out the application.
- Attach the relevant documentation.
- Include payment.
- Mail in the materials.
The AAMA offers many ways to earn CEUs:
The AAMA will enter the number and category of AAMA CEUs into your transcript, and you will be able to access your AAMA CEU Transcripts anytime online.
Non-AAMA Recertification Points
You may earn up to 30 non-AAMA recertification points by attending programs and events that are not approved by the AAMA.
You must determine if the programs meet the standards for approvable continuing education. The AAMA provides three documents that serve as useful guidelines:
- The CMA (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination Content Outline is a comprehensive list of everything a CMA (AAMA) has to know for the exam, organized by topic category.
- The AAMA 2007-2008 Occupational Analysis of the CMA (AAMA) is based on an AAMA survey of the tasks performed on a daily basis by CMAs (AAMA).
- The Advanced Practice of Medical Assisting defines advanced medical assisting skills and areas of knowledge.
The AAMA will not update your transcript when you attend non-AAMA approved programs and events. Save any related documentation, such as a syllabus, to include when you submit the Recertification by Continuing Education Application.